Media Brief from St. Petersburg College for the week of Aug. 13, 2018
This is a media brief from St. Petersburg College about events and items you may find of interest. For more information, contact Rita Farlow, Assistant Director, Marketing and Strategic Communications, at 727-302-6526 or Marilyn Shaw, Communications/PR Coordinator, 727-341-4712.
SPC Forum to Explore Myths of Gun Violence
The Institute for Strategic Policy Solutions at St. Petersburg College will host a forum titled “Guns in America: Myth-Busting in Search of Solutions,” from 6-8:15 p.m. Aug. 30 at the SPC Seminole Campus, 9200 113th St. N. Speakers will include:
• Author and Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Pittsburg Dr. John S. “Jack” Rozel,
• USF St. Petersburg Professor Emeritus of History Dr. Gary Mormino
• Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri
• Tampa attorney David T. Kronenfeld
• Executive Director of the Institute for Strategic Policy Solutions at SPC David Klement, Moderator
Admission to the dinner and program is $25, or $20 for students and educators. To register, go to http://solutions.spcollege.edu/, or phone 727-394-6942. Media co-sponsors are the Tampa Bay Times and WEDU Television.
SPC instructor named Educator of the Year
St. Petersburg College adjunct Denise Fonzo, Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), was presented with the Educator of the Year award at the annual Florida Health Information Management Association (FHIMA) state convention in July.
Upcoming Drone Certification training at SPC’s Workforce Institute
The Workforce Institute at St. Petersburg College will be offering the following courses in Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) in September and October.
• Four-week UAS (Drone) Video Production and Editing: Basic Skills Course on Sept. 11 – Oct. 2 (class held on four consecutive Tuesdays) 6-8:30 p.m., SPC Epicenter Campus, Room 306, 13805 58th St. N., Clearwater. This four-week course will teach students how to edit video filmed from Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or drones using Adobe Premiere Pro. Adobe Premiere Pro is becoming the industry’s standard software for video editing both in businesses and in post-production firms due to its flexibility, cross platform compatibility and intuitive design. This in-depth course will enable beginners to become proficient in its use. Through instructor led demonstrations and exercises, you will learn how to edit video, add video effects and titles and export your finished video. All media will be provided. Course includes Adobe Premiere Pro textbook and CD with practice files. Registration can be completed by going to https://bit.ly/2vy5zeN.
• Four-week UAS Remote Pilot (Drone) Certificate Prep Course on Oct. 4 – 25 (class held on four consecutive Thursdays) 6-8:30 p.m., SPC Epicenter Campus, Room 314, 13805 58th St. N., Clearwater. This four-week, non-degree course is designed to prepare students to pass the FAA Remote Pilot Certificate exam. The course will include UAS regulations, flight operations and restrictions, emergency procedures, crew resource management, radio communication procedures, aeronautical decision-making and judgement and maintenance and pre-flight inspection procedures. Registration can be completed by going to https://bit.ly/2LVXhaZ. Career opportunities for students with drone training include business-entrepreneurship, military drone pilot, firefighter, disaster relief, search and rescue, law enforcement, oil and gas operations, border patrol, agriculture, package delivery, forestry, engineering, computer science, real estate, film and photography and other industries.
For more information regarding these courses, please contact Fred Tucker at 727-791-2409 or email@example.com.
Upcoming information session:
Prospective students can learn more about our programs at this upcoming information session:
Business Entrepreneurship Seminar
Thursday, Sept. 13
12:30 – 2 p.m.
Clearwater Campus, ES 104
2465 Drew St.