Media Brief from St. Petersburg College for the week of July 16, 2018
This is a media brief from St. Petersburg College about events and items you may find of interest. For more information, contact Rita Farlow, Assistant Director, Marketing and Strategic Communications, at 727-302-6526 or Marilyn Shaw, Public Relations Specialist, 727-341-4712.
Get it Done! SPC open house event on July 18 (flyer attached)
St. Petersburg College will host Get it Done, an open house event where new and returning students can meet with staff to wrap up any outstanding items in preparation for the fall term. The event is from 8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. on Wednesday, July 18 at the following campus locations:
• Allstate Center, 3200 34th St. S., St. Petersburg
• Clearwater Campus, 2465 Drew St.
• Downtown Center, 244 2nd Ave. N., St Petersburg
• Health Education Center, 7200 66th St. N
• Midtown Center, 1300 22nd St. S.
• Seminole Campus, 9200 113th St. N
• St. Petersburg/Gibbs Campus, 6605 Fifth Ave. N
• Tarpon Springs Campus, 600 Klosterman Rd.
At the open house, attendees can:
• Speak with an advisor
• Get help with financial aid
• Meet with a Career Services Specialist
• Attend a Getting Started Orientation
• Register and pay for classes
If you can’t make it to a campus, you can speak with an advisor online at 3:30 p.m. here. Fall term begins Aug. 13. The last day to register for an online course for the regular session is Sunday, Aug. 12. Learn more here.
Upcoming Entrepreneurship and Drone Certification training at SPC’s Workforce Institute
The Workforce Institute at St. Petersburg College will be offering the following courses in Entrepreneurship and Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) in July and August.
• Five-week Introduction to Small Business Entrepreneurship Course from 6 -8:30 p.m. July 23 – Aug. 20, 2018 (class held on five consecutive Mondays) at SPC Epicenter Campus, Room 308, 13805 58th St. N., Clearwater. This five-week non-degree course will start with a basic business idea that you will mold into a legitimate brand. You will leave the class with your products and services researched for profitability, a knowledge of the local market and competition, a basic business plan, balance sheet, profit and loss statement, internet presence, business cards and a good sense of direction to kick start your business. Register here.
• Four-week UAS Remote Pilot (Drone) Certificate Prep Course from 6-8:30 p.m. Aug. 2 – 23 (class held on 4 consecutive Thursdays) at SPC Epicenter Campus, Room 314, 13805 58th St. N., Clearwater. This four-week non-degree course is designed to prepare students to pass the FAA Remote Pilot Certificate exam. The course will include UAS regulations, flight operations and restrictions, emergency procedures, crew resource management, radio communication procedures, aeronautical decision-making and judgement and maintenance and pre-flight inspection procedures. Registration can be completed by going to https://bit.ly/2tJVr1I. Career opportunities for students with drone training include business-entrepreneurship, military drone pilot, firefighter, disaster relief, search and rescue, law enforcement, oil and gas operations, border patrol, agriculture, package delivery, forestry, engineering, computer science, real estate, film and photography, and other industries.
For more information regarding these courses, please contact Fred Tucker at 727-791-2409 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Persistence Incorporated into College Hired (PITCH) program accepting applications
The PITCH (Persistence Incorporated in to College Hired) program, a partnership between St. Petersburg College (SPC) and the City of St. Petersburg’s Cohort of Champions, is accepting applications for its fall cohort. African American men, ages 18 to 24, who live in St. Petersburg are eligible for the program, which aims to help young men gain certificates and degrees that will prepare them to enter or re-enter the workforce. Those accepted will receive several services at SPC, including free tuition and books and academic and career counseling. Program areas include: the arts, technology, social and human services, public safety and business. To apply, contact Ernest Gant, 727-302-6550, email@example.com or Jerick Daniels, 727-341-4636, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming information sessions:
Prospective students can learn more about our programs at these upcoming information sessions:
Music Industry Recording Arts (MIRA) Program Tour
Friday, July 20
St. Petersburg/Gibbs Campus, HS 118
6605 5th Ave. N.