Media Brief from St. Petersburg College for the week of March 19, 2018
This is a media brief from St. Petersburg College about events and items you may find of interest. For more information, contact Rita Farlow, Assistant Director, Marketing and Strategic Communications, at 727-302-6526 or Marilyn Shaw, Public Relations Specialist, 727-341-4712.
Application fee will be waived during Explore SPC March 20-22
St. Petersburg College will host Explore SPC Week from 2-6 p.m. March 20-22. Attendees can explore campuses and degrees and training programs. The $40 application fee will be waived during Explore SPC Week. The event will be held:
• Tuesday, March 20, Clearwater Campus, 2465 Drew St.
• Tuesday, March 20, Downtown Campus, 244 Second Ave. N.
• Tuesday, March 20, Tarpon Springs Campus, 600 E. Klosterman Rd.
• Wednesday, March 21, Seminole Campus, 9200 113th St. N
• Thursday, March 22, Midtown Campus, 1300 22nd St. S, St. Petersburg
• Thursday, March 22, St. Petersburg/Gibbs Campus, 6605 Fifth Ave. N.
• Thursday, March 22, Health Education Center, 7200 66th St. N., Pinellas Park
For more information, visit why.spc.edu/explore.
2018 Gulf Coast Maker & Comic Con Saturday, March 24
Come and experience the 2018 Gulf Coast Maker & Comic Con from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 24 at St. Petersburg College’s Seminole Campus, 9200 113th St. This experience showcases and supports the innovative and entrepreneurial efforts of area makers across a wide range of fields including: mechanical, electrical, communications, transportation, hardware and software development, heritage crafts and trades, arts, music, gaming, modeling and simulation and STEM initiatives, as well as the art of cosplay, comics, anime, and sci-fi. The event is free and open to the public, with exciting activities planned for people of all ages and interests. For more information, contact Chad Mairn at firstname.lastname@example.org or 727-394-6917 or Theresa Willingham at Terri@FFCDI.org or 727-394-6917. Learn more at gulfcoastmakers.com
SPC Forum Will Address Cyber Security Threats
The Institute for Strategic Policy Solutions at St. Petersburg College will host a forum titled Hacked: Can We Win the Cyber Security Battle?; from 6 to 8:15 p.m. March 27 at the SPC’s Seminole Campus, 9200 113th St. N. The keynote speaker will be Col. John Burger, former director of the Joint Cyber Center at the U.S. Central Command and current Vice-President for Threat Management at ReliaQuest, a Tampa-based cyber security company. Admission to the dinner program is $25 per person or $20 for students and educators. Advance registration is required at https://solutions.spcollege.edu/.
Upcoming Drone Certification training at SPC’s Workforce Institute
The Workforce Institute at St. Petersburg College will be offering the following courses in Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) in April and May.
• UAS (Drone) for Public Safety Course on April 5-April 28 (class held on four consecutive Thursdays from 6-8:30 p.m. and from 12-3 p.m. on Saturday, April 26 for hands-on UAS flight), SPC’s Allstate Center, Room 219, 3200 34th St. S., St. Petersburg. This course is designed for police, fire department and EMS personnel. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or Drones are changing the public safety sector. These devices are no longer toys, but tools used to keep officers and communities safe. They’re becoming an essential life-saving tool for public safety departments. Topics in the four-week course include: Hands-on UAS flight, UAS Regulations, flight operations and restrictions, UAS Loading and performance, emergency procedures, crew resource management, Radio communication procedures, UAS performance, psychological effects of drugs and alcohol, aeronautical decision-making and judgement, airport operations, maintenance and pre-flight inspection procedures and legal considerations. Upon successful completion of the course, students will have the knowledge required to pass the FAA Remote Pilot Certificate Exam. Registration can be completed by going to http://bit.ly/2EqMfGJ.
• Four-week UAS Remote Pilot (Drone) Certificate Prep Course on May 3-May 24, 2018 (class held on four consecutive Thursdays) 6-8:30 p.m., SPC Downtown Campus, Room 356, 244 2nd Ave S., St. Petersburg. This four-week course is designed to prepare students to pass the FAA Remote Pilot Certificate exam. The course will include UAS regulations, flight operations and restrictions, emergency procedures, crew resource management, radio communication procedures, aeronautical decision-making and judgement, and maintenance and pre-flight inspection procedures. Registration can be completed by going to http://bit.ly/2tUXTpl. Career opportunities for students with drone training include business-entrepreneurship, military drone pilot, firefighter, disaster relief, search and rescue, law enforcement, oil and gas operations, border patrol, agriculture, package delivery, forestry, engineering, computer science, real estate, film and photography and other industries.
For more information regarding these courses, please contact Fred Tucker at 727-791-2409 or email@example.com.
Basketball season for Titan men and women is underway! Check Athletics.spcollege.edu
for game times and dates.
Upcoming information sessions:
Prospective students can learn more about our programs at this upcoming information session:
Tuesday, March 20
12:30 -2 p.m.
Clearwater Campus, LI209
2465 Drew St.
Paralegal Studies Degrees Info Session
Monday, March 26
5:30 -7 p.m.
13805 58th St. N., Largo
Professional Branding Network
Tuesday, March 27
12:30 – 2 p.m.
Clearwater Campus, LI2019
2465 Drew St.