Media Brief from St. Petersburg College for the week of July 23, 2018
This is a media brief from St. Petersburg College about events and items you may find of interest. For more information, contact Rita Farlow, Assistant Director, Marketing and Strategic Communications, at 727-302-6526 or Marilyn Shaw, Communications/PR Coordinator, 727-341-4712.
SPC Fall registration
Registration for the fall semester is open. See the following dates for details.
• Fall term begins: Monday, Aug. 13
• Fall Express term begins: Monday, Sept. 10
The last day to register for the regular fall session is Sunday, Aug. 12. Learn more here.
Judicial Candidate Debate at SPC Clearwater Campus
SPC’s College of Public Policy and Legal Studies will moderate the candidate forum for judicial office on July 25 to kick off the Institute for Strategic Policy Solutions’ fall series of programs focused on the bi-annual elections. The forum will be from 6-8:15 p.m. in ES 104 at the Clearwater campus. Advance registration is requested at http://solutions.spcollege.edu/
Upcoming Entrepreneurship and Drone Certification training at SPC’s Workforce Institute
The Workforce Institute at St. Petersburg College will be offering the following courses in Entrepreneurship and Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) in August.
No-cost Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) Course
As part of a Florida Job Growth Workforce Training Grant for Mechatronics and Electromechanical Technician Training (METT), enroll for the August METT GRANT Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) - PILOT class at no cost! Dates of class: 8/6/18-9/2/18. Registration can be completed by going to https://bit.ly/2Ns79Gm. Course includes overview of the history, function, components, advantages, setup and basic symbols of Programmable Logic Controllers, as well as 12 hours of online courseware prior to the 15 hours of intensive lab activities, followed by three hours of online preparation for the PMMI certification exam.
• Aug. 6-19, Vocabulary, Math, Programming Basics (12 hours, online)
• Aug. 20-24, 5-8 p.m., Hands-on lab component (15 hours, BRAAS in Oldsmar)
• Aug. 25-Sept. 2, PMMI Certification Exam Prep (three hours, online)
• The hands-on lab class on Aug. 20-24, will be held at BRAAS in Oldsmar, at 230 Douglas Rd., Oldsmar.
• Four-week UAS Remote Pilot (Drone) Certificate Prep Course from 6-8:30 p.m. Aug. 2 – 23 (class held on four consecutive Thursdays) at SPC Epicenter Campus, Room 314, 13805 58th St. N., Clearwater. This four-week non-degree course is designed to prepare students to pass the FAA Remote Pilot Certificate exam. The course will include UAS regulations, flight operations and restrictions, emergency procedures, crew resource management, radio communication procedures, aeronautical decision-making and judgement and maintenance and pre-flight inspection procedures. Registration can be completed by going to https://bit.ly/2tJVr1I. Career opportunities for students with drone training include business-entrepreneurship, military drone pilot, firefighter, disaster relief, search and rescue, law enforcement, oil and gas operations, border patrol, agriculture, package delivery, forestry, engineering, computer science, real estate, film and photography, and other industries.
For more information regarding these courses, please contact Fred Tucker at 727-791-2409 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Persistence Incorporated into College Hired (PITCH) program accepting applications
The PITCH (Persistence Incorporated in to College Hired) program, a partnership between St. Petersburg College (SPC) and the City of St. Petersburg’s Cohort of Champions, is accepting applications for its fall cohort. African American men, ages 18 to 24, who live in St. Petersburg are eligible for the program, which aims to help young men gain certificates and degrees that will prepare them to enter or re-enter the workforce. Those accepted will receive several services at SPC, including free tuition and books and academic and career counseling. Program areas include the arts, technology, social and human services, public safety and business. To apply, contact Ernest Gant at 727-302-6550, or email@example.com or Jerick Daniels at 727-341-4636, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming information sessions:
Prospective students can learn more about our programs at these upcoming information sessions:
College of Public Safety Info Session
Thursday, July 26
4:30 – 7 p.m.
SPC Allstate Center, 3200 34th St. S.,