Please NOTE: MLK Candlelight Vigil at Woodson Museum has been changed to Saturday, Jan. 14, same time, 6 p.m. – Updated MLK Event Flyer and news release attached & pasted below.
From the city of St. Petersburg, revised 1-9-17
32nd Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Parade
Anchors St. Petersburg Celebration, January 8 to 16
The 2017 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday celebration in St. Petersburg features nine events:
• SOUNDS OF THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT: The Power of Song – January 8 & 9 • Sunday, 3 & 7 p.m. • Monday 7 p.m. • Palladium, 253 Fifth Ave. N. Free admission; tickets required and available at Box Office. 727-822-3590. www.mypalladium.org or www.thepowerofsong.org
• 36th Annual MLK HIGH SCHOOL ESSAY CONTEST FINALS – Thursday, January 12. 7 p.m.
Students make their final oratorical presentations at the Enoch Davis Center, 1111 18th Ave. S. Free and open to the public. Cosponsored by the St. Petersburg Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemorative Organization, Inc. and Theta Eta Lambda Education Foundation of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Contact: Lynette Buchanan, 727-893-7134.
• DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. CANDLELIGHT VIGIL – Saturday, January 14. 6 p.m.
Carter G. Woodson African American Museum, 2240 Ninth Ave. S.
• MLK INTERFAITH MEMORIAL SERVICE – Sunday, January 15. 4 to 6 p.m.
Christ Gospel Church, 2512 22nd Ave. S. “Injustice Anywhere is a Threat to Justice Everywhere.” Keynote speaker: Jason Charos, senior at Gibbs High School / Pinellas County Center for the Arts. Featuring local choirs and winner of the MLK Student Essay contest. Sponsored by Interfaith Tampa Bay. 727-560-2567.
• “MLK DREAM BIG” BLOCK PARTY – Sunday, January 15. 6 to 9 p.m.
Along The Deuces, 22nd Street S. from Ninth to 13th Avenues. Featuring Florida A & M University and Tuskegee University marching bands, local jazz bands and high schools bands and more.
• 31st Annual MLK LEADERSHIP AWARDS BREAKFAST – Monday, January 16. 7:30 a.m. Coliseum, 535 Fourth Ave. N. Keynote speaker: Roslyn Brock, NAACP National Board Chair. Presented by St. Petersburg Metropolitan Section / National Council of Negro Women Inc. Contact: 727-896-6556. Tickets, $30/advance; $35/door, available at Coliseum Box Office, 727-892-5202 or Mlkbreakfaststpete.eventbrite.com
• Fifth Annual MLK DAY OF SERVICE – Monday, January 16. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Locations throughout St. Petersburg • www.spcollege.edu/MLKservice
• 32nd Annual “MLK DREAM BIG” PARADE – Monday, January 16. 11 a.m.
Please Note N E W ROUTE THIS YEAR! MLK Parade reverses course for 2017: Parade begins at Central Ave. and Second St., proceeds west to MLK/9th St., turns south for one block, then turns west, proceeds along First Ave. S. to 16th St., turns south again to Third Ave. S, disbanding near Tropicana Field Lot 1. Grand Marshal: Jameis Winston, Tampa Bay Buccaneers. More info: www.MLKdreambig.com
• 2nd Annual “MLK DREAM BIG” 2017 FAMILY FUN FESTIVAL – Monday, January 16. 2:30 to 8 p.m. Immediately following the MLK Parade. East side of Tropicana Field, Parking Lot 7A. Free admission. Free activities, games and more. Live entertainment, Kids Zone, food and art vendors (items available for purchase). Disabled parking in Trop Lot 6, enter from 1st Ave. S. near 14th St. Some public parking in Tropicana Lots 8 and 9. For more info or for vendors to register, call 727-321-7919 or visit www.MLKdreambig.com.